Monday 23 December 2013

Christmas Cooking.

S and I are having a little get-together tomorrow to celebrate Christmas with family and friends before settling in for a Christmas by ourselves.  I knew once we had planned our party that I wanted to have a 'buffet style' spread set out, so that people could help themselves, rather than organising a sit-down dinner.  While it was mainly because we're not sure how many people will be able to come, it also made it lots easier on us when it comes to prep and we wouldn't have to worry about setting a table for ten when we only have four dining chairs!

The first thing I knew I wanted to do was have one main dish for everyone to tuck into and I opted for an American favourite - Sloppy Joes.


I started off by browning some ground beef (about a pound and a half) with half a large white onion and, after draining the excess fat, added one can of chopped tomatoes.  I then added a cup and a half of ketchup, a generous splash of Worcestershire sauce and about ten jalapeƱo slices that I diced.  I also added a splash of the brine that the jalapeƱos were in to give it an extra spicy kick.

  
I let the mixture simmer for about thirty minutes or so, then turned off the heat and let it cool completely before putting it in a dish and covering it with cling film (plastic wrap) and storing it in the fridge.  All it needs tomorrow is a thorough heat through and it's ready to go!  I'm serving it in poppy seed kaiser rolls, yum.  I think I'll leave it in a dish with a spoon so everyone can help themselves.

Next up were some peanut butter cookies, because everyone needs a sweet treat at Christmas.  I followed Becca's recipe over on her blog, Ladyface, and they turned out so well!


It was so quick and easy to whip up the mixture, it must've only taken me ten minutes and most of that time was stirring that peanut butter!


Here they are cooling on the rack!  I'm going to store these in an airtight container for tonight and dip them in chocolate tomorrow morning.  They look and smell delicious, I can't wait to tuck in!

I've got my palmiers ready to go in the fridge, only this time I've prepared both savoury and sweet versions.  I had to do a test run of the sweet ones, to which I simply sprinkled on sugar and cinnamon, and they turned out really well and were super tasty.

 
I think when I bake the sweet ones tomorrow, I'm going to add an extra sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon on top.

I'm feeling a little under the weather today but I managed to crack these out and I am so glad I can have a lie in tomorrow morning and not have to worry about preparing everything before our guests arrive.  So this evening I intend to put my feet up, drink lots of orange juice (it'll totally make me feel better) and wrap my prezzies to put under the tree!

What do you have planned for Christmas Eve?  Are you throwing a party or having a quiet evening in?  I'd love to know.

Love, K.

2 comments:

  1. Those peanut butter cookies look delicious!!! One of my fav cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I've scoffed one (or two or three!) I'll let you know how they tasted! Super easy to make, you should really have a go!

      Delete

I love hearing what you think ^_^ Thank you for your comment!