Wednesday 29 January 2014

As A Passenger.

Here's a fun fact; I've never been able to drive.  My parents never had a car when I was growing up and the town I lived in in England was a place where you could walk everywhere.  I used to walk to and from work, into town and home again, to the supermarket and back.  Not that my town was little as such, but it was small enough that needing a car wasn't really necessary and I loved it.

Moving to America and being in a town so much bigger, having a car is a given.  You need one to get places, if you want to go to a different town or state and sometimes even getting to the supermarket needs a car.  It's a weird concept for me, as not only can I not drive (I have no driver's license in England or America) but I've never spent quite as much time in a car as I have since moving.  I'm getting used to it, slowly, and I'm actually quite enjoying being a passenger as it means I get to gaze out of the window and enjoy the scenery.  Here are some of the pictures I've taken in my time as a front seat passenger.







I really need to convince S to take me to see the Crayola Attractions - has anyone been?  Every time we drive past this sign I say 'We're going to go there one day!'.  Being someone who's a bit of a stationery junkie, the idea of going somewhere dedicated to Crayola is so exciting!

Do you drive or do you walk everywhere?  I love how convenient a car is but I absolutely love going for a long walk too and I don't want to become too reliant on being driven around.  I hope you are having a great week and have exciting things planned for your weekend!

Love, K.

6 comments:

  1. Crayola Attractions sounds like it would be a blast! I hope you get to go soon!
    (be glad you didn't get stuck in the car like me in the Atlanta Snow Jam yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it sound fantastic? I just have to convince S to drive me (I don't think he understands my love of all things crafty!) I hope all your travels go much more smoothly than they did yesterday.

      Delete
  2. I was always content to be a passenger for most of my life as I was a very nervous driver. Here everyone drives and has to as our cities are too large to walk everywhere and if you live in a smaller town you need to be able to get to other towns that can be hours away in order to get your basic staples of life like groceries etc. So for years everyone here drove, but me.

    Then a few years ago I finally got the urge to get my license so that I wouldn't be stuck hanging around the house by myself and could go out and do things that required driving. I was 21 when I got my license, 5 years later than almost all of my friends, but I have loved having it ever since then. I can't imagine what life would be like for me now without a license!

    - J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of getting a license both excites and terrifies me! Sometimes, especially when we're driving on the highway, people are so dangerous and drive so fast it makes me really nervous. At the same time, it'd be nice if S didn't have to drive us everywhere and I can imagine it's a very freeing feeling, to know that you can hop in a car and go wherever you want ^_^

      Delete
  3. I grew up in a family that drove lots, but I've never actually gotten a license! I do pretty well getting around by foot and by bus, but I think this year might be the year I actually get a license. We'll see!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to get around without needing a car, walking a public transport have always been my travel staples! Good luck on your adventure towards getting your license, that's so exciting!

      Delete

I love hearing what you think ^_^ Thank you for your comment!