Monday 23 September 2013

Keep Rollin'.

For me, bowling was always something you did with your friends on Saturday afternoons when it was too chilly to stay out in the park all day.  It was always dark, the shoes they gave you had been worn by countless others and you weren't supposed to be very good at it, because it was all part of the fun.  I never really took bowling seriously until I met S and he invited me to tag along to one of his league games.  Wow.

I knew that bowling was 'big' in America.  I didn't realise quite how big until I really saw for myself.  Teams of people with their very own bowling balls, made to fit their fingers, their own special shiny shoes and bags to hold all their towels and oils and wrist supports.  It was fascinating to watch each bowler take their turn, lining up their shots, bowling with their own unique style, hooking the ball so dangerously close to the gutter my heart would momentarily stop.  It was genuinely exciting to watch, some games coming down to just one or two pins between a win and loss.  I was on the edge of my seat and completely blown away by just how good these people were at their sport.  Yes, bowling is a sport.  Sort of.

S has been bowling for years and I'm still staggered by his technique and his ability to make the ball knock all those pins down.  I've been spectating his games for years and I've wanted to get involved, despite being an abysmal bowler.  Seriously, the highest I've ever scored is a 105 and I was so proud I took a picture.  Look.


However, there comes a time in every girl's life when she needs to get her own equipment so she can start kicking butt at bowling.  That time came for me a couple of days ago.  I'd like to introduce you to my very own, very shiny, bowling ball.


Despite it being a Strike King instead of a Strike Queen (and despite me not actually having bowled any strikes with it thus far), it's a beauty.  Although I'm not a particularly girly girl, I absolutely had to have the girliest bowling ball available, all pink and purple swirls of shimmering loveliness.  It weighs a rather hefty 11 pounds, which I was reluctant to agree to at first but I've been assured I will 'get used to it' quickly, even though it feels like it weighs a ton now.

Sooooo preeeeeetty.

I had to go through a little measuring process to get the fit just right and when it had all been drilled and polished to a shine, I held it (awkwardly) and it just rolled off of my fingers, which is apparently what it's supposed to do.  Can you tell I'm new at this?  I'm excited to start bowling properly, to have it in my arsenal of secret talents and use it to impress people with.  It'll be fun to get in on the action and it'll be a great way for S and I to spend time together doing something he is passionate about.  It's all good!

Are you trying anything new and exciting?  Or do you have any tips for a brand new bowler?  I hope you have a great week ahead of you!

Love, K.

4 comments:

  1. I like bowling, but really don't do it enough. Your new ball is so pretty! I've never had my own, but it would be neat to have one fit your hand perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Breeanna! It's so much fun to go bowling, I'm glad I don't have to struggle with finding the right house ball any more (my fingers would always get stuck in those!).

      Delete
  2. Bowling is not very big here, at least not in this part of Canada. We bowl pretty much the way you did in the UK, just for fun, no one takes it serious, it's just something to do and to do badly at that. But it is fun to go every once in a while.

    That is some ball you have there! Hope you can make a lot of use for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it sure is a beaut! I'm determined to improve my skills but to still have lots of fun at the same time (I can't believe how deadly serious some people are when they are bowling and that doesn't strike me as fun at all. Excuse the pun!).

      Delete

I love hearing what you think ^_^ Thank you for your comment!