Friday 10 July 2015

Tea And Crumpets.


Crumpets are one of my favourite foods.  I didn't realise that until I had made the voyage across the pond and discovered that crumpets, essentially, didn't exist in America.  And, you know, for a while I didn't even miss them.  There were so many other, delicious, exciting new foods to try that they simply slipped my mind.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago.  We three are out at Trader Joe's, ooh-ing and ahh-ing over cookie butter and artisan fruit pies and the most gorgeous punnets of cherries when out of nowhere, these crumpets appear.  I may have done a little happy dance in the shop.


For those who haven't had the pleasure of eating a crumpet or two, the closest thing I can think in comparison is an English muffin.  They have that same light, doughy, toothsome texture.  A bit of chew with each mouthful, deliciously dissolving in buttery goodness.  I've no doubt there is some debate over exactly how to eat your crumpets.  I personally like them well-toasted, with a bit of crunch, and a spread of butter.  Perfect and simple.


It may seem a bit much to write a whole post about crumpets (which, by the way, absolutely must be eaten with a cup of tea).  But these little bready wonders were a taste of home, which sometimes seems really very far away.  It's a bit of nostalgia, as they remind me of cold mornings before school and Sunday brunches, my Mum toasting piles of crumpets for us all to eat around the kitchen table, listening to Radio 2.  They are comfort food, pure and simple, and the best kind of it!

It's nice to know I have a little slice of England in my fridge, ready to be thrown under the broiler when I fancy it.  I can't wait to introduce them to Vi when she's old enough for a nibble and I'll be stashing some away for chilly winter mornings too.


What foods bring back memories for you?

Love, K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think ^_^ Thank you for your comment!