Sunday 13 October 2013

Home.

'Home' has become a bit of a weird word for me lately.  Since I moved to America and started living with S, I've come to consider my new place and our new life as being 'home'.  But due to some visa issues, I've had to leave the country for a little while and head back to England, back 'home'.

I was trying to figure out which one I should call 'home' now.  When I talked to my Mum about it, she said that 'home' is where you live, which would mean the apartment I share with S.

Top Floor Represent!
When I talk about 'home' though, my thoughts immediately go to England, to the house I grew up in, the place my family lives.  Having only been in America a short while and then having to come back to England, it doesn't feel like I've lived there long enough to call it 'home'.  But even though the feeling of comfort and familiarity I feel when I come back to England is homely, I don't officially live here any more.

Home is where the heart is, right?  Clearly, my heart is back with S, 3500 miles away.  I've been telling my family about the things we do 'at home' and oddly, I felt a little guilty that I'd somehow replaced my childhood home with my new one so far away.

Is it just really greedy to want to have two places to call home?  For me, 'home' is where you feel safe, secure, happy and loved.  I definitely have two places I feel like that in and for that I am very lucky.

So I'm back in England for a few weeks, from one home to another.  A time for catching up with friends, enjoying the changing seasons and spending quality time with my family.  I hope you have a wonderful week planned, full of all the things that make you feel at home.

Love, K.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post and a nice thought to consider, "home". When I hear the word "home" I don't necessarily think of just one house. Though hubby and I have lived where we do now for 5 years now and I do consider this place my current home, when I think of the word "home" I immediately think of this community that I live in. This city, this province, this land. The Prairies are my home. If we were to ever leave and move elsewhere I might call a new house "home" but a piece of my heart will always stay with the Prairies.

    I think your first home always leaves a deep impression on you the same way your first language does. No matter how many languages you might learn your mother tongue will always be the one that touches your heart. And no matter how many times you move, the place where you grew up and the people and community that you were surrounded by will always feel like home.

    That's just my rambling though, I'm sure Home probably means something different to everyone. But I do love the feeling of home. I hope that you can get back to your new one soon to be with S again. In the meantime, though, enjoy your visit with the familiar!

    - J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughts ^_^ I agree with you absolutely.

      The place that you know like the back of your hand, the one you could navigate blindfolded, where you feel most at ease, that will always be the first thing I think of when I hear the word 'Home'. Like you said, it will always feel that way, no matter how many places you live in or experience.

      I like the fact that you -can- be somewhere else though, with the people you care about, and you can still feel like you're home. That's how I feel when I'm in New Jersey with S, like when I'm there with him I'm Home. It's kind of awesome that no matter if I'm in England with my family or America with S, it always feels like I'm coming Home ^_^

      I intend to soak up as much of England as I can as I'm predicting not coming back for a stretch after this visit. I'm excited to have lots of adventures and take lots of stories back with me when I return.

      Delete

I love hearing what you think ^_^ Thank you for your comment!